Copper - Gold - Molybdenum project in Alaska

Northern Dynasty's principal asset is the Pebble Project in southwest Alaska, USA, an initiative to develop one of the world's most important mineral resources.

Free

http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page72068?oid=120088&sn=Detail&pid=102055

EPA to conduct assessment of Bristol Bay fishery, possible Pebble impacts

EPA has agreed to conduct an in-depth public assessment of the watershed feeding Alaska’s Bristol Bay and the potential impacts of the massive Pebble mining project on its fishery.

Author: Dorothy Kosich
Posted: Tuesday , 08 Feb 2011

RENO, NV -

Alaska's U.S. Senators Lisa Murkowski and Mark Begich said Monday they both welcome a decision by the U.S, EPA to access the potential impacts of mining and other development projects on the Bristol Bay watershed.

Opponents of the Pebble Mine last year asked the EPA to block the proposed Pebble Project, considered one of the largest prospects for copper, gold, molybdenum and silver in the world. Bristol Bay is believed to contain the world's richest salmon fishery.

In 2010, nine federally recognized Bristol Bay tribes to use its authority under the Clean Water Act to protect Bristol Bay from the Pebble project. Two other tribes asked the agency to wait for mining projects to submit permit applications before taking any official EPA action.

Murkowski, the ranking member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee and the Interior Appropriations Subcommittee, said, "I am committed to letting the science decide whether mining is right for the Bristol Bay region, but any attempt to prejudge a project before the environmental work is finished would be a troubling signal, as well as a clear violation of the environmental review process."

"I will not trade fish for minerals," Murkowski declared, "but I believe that companies willing to invest in our region deserve to be given a fair shake to present their proposals."

Begich said, "I'm pleased the EPA agreed with me not to use its preemptive veto authority in the Clean Water Act in favor of a process that will inform the debate over this project."

"I hope for a fully transparent process, that invites all sides to the table and involves all of the affected stakeholders including fishing groups, tribes, Alaska Native Corporations and local communities," he added.

"The Bristol Bay watershed is essentially to the health, environment and economy of Alaska," said EPA Regional Administrator Dennis McLerran. "Gathering data and getting public input now, before development occurs, just makes sense. Doing this we can be assured that our future decisions are grounded in the best science and information and in touch with the needs of the communities."

The assessment will focus primarily on the Nushagak and Kvichak watersheds. Most of the Bristol Bay watershed is wildlife refuge or park where large development is restricted. EPA will focus on non-protected areas.

The Pebble deposit contains 55 billion pounds of copper, 67 million ounces of gold and 3.3 billion pounds of molybdenum in measured and indicated resource. Pebble is located on state land designated for mineral exploration and development and has underground six year and US$130 million in environmental and socioeconomic studies.

The Pebble Partnership includes Northern Dynasty, Anglo American, Rio Tinto and Mitsubishi.

New Message
Please login to post a reply