Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Message: Am I the only one sitting on the fence, I don't think so

I agree that a name is needed. I have very little doubt that POET knows who, and will announce it when the deal is signed. I don't think POET would announce the formation of the PDA without solid indications. It would be like having a party and sending invitations to people you've never met.

There are some Apple rumours floating around, but if I pretend that I'd never heard them before I would not have made them my first quess based solely on the latest NR. If i was to guess at the first name we were going to hear it would be someone like Taiwan Semi.

My reasoning is as follows:

1) POET stated that "a near-term goal will be to establish comprehensive design rules and a device parameter library for POET, which will proliferate licensed designs in a POET device ecosystem" This is a job for a foundry in order to be able to organize the on-chip devices according to a customer's designs. If a company decided to make a POET chip, they might even be able to keep their architecture the same as their current CMOS offerings, but they could use the design rules developed at the partner fab to realize a much faster chip in POET. I'm not sure it's really that easy, but with all the hype about POET's compatibility, it's at least possible.

2) a subtle difference between the other MS and the new MS8 in the updated CO is that development will take place at a " 3rd party lab/ line". This terminology differs from the other references to 3rd party fabs. To me it sounds more like a seperate facility. And again, to accomplish the near term goal stated above would require a fab (indeed the rules are *for* a fab to use)

3) a fab announcement is compatible with both the possible Apple interest and Aves's notion that they would wait until ODIS is successful before branding it an Apple product.

New Message
Please login to post a reply