Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Just a couple of things I can throw out here.

It turns out there are a couple of US patents that Taylor holds for which UConn, rather than OPEL Inc. is the sole assignee. There are a couple of others for which OPEL inc. and UConn appear to be co-assignees:

Here's a link to the uspto patents

There are also International Patents for the same inventions, plus others, all of which show UConn as the "applicant"

Link to WIPO--->use the following search if the link doesn't work <FP:(geoff w taylor connecticut)>

It's possible that these patents are complicating the commercialization effort and need to be dealt with.

Having said all this I highly doubt that we are trying to wiggle out of a 66% royalty. Nobody could commercialize anything with such a royalty, it's simply impossible. UConn could never expect any inventions to make them any money and they would never attract any business or expert to their facilities.

For those interested, I dug up what is probably the very earliest publication about OPEL on the web (Nov, 2002). In it, it describes who has funded the development of POET.

http://www.lightreading.com/opel-cooking-with-gaas/d/d-id/586393

FTA:

"Most of Opel's funding has come from its founders, which include Upp, Taylor, COO Lee Pierhal, and Rohinton Dehmubed, vice president of optical devices. Taylor dug up extra money in the form of small-business government grants. With a staff of only 12 and operations still based at U. Conn, the startup is looking for outside funding to help commercialize what it's got"

The article doesn't say what UConn's cut is, but it's clear that the money to fund POET didn't come from UConn.

New Message
Please login to post a reply