Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

@jrubinst

I am automatically sceptical of any article that is titled with a rhetorical question.

Having said that, memristors are interesting for all the reasons explained in the article.

Without rehashing it all I can tell you four reasons why I don't think it poses any urgent danger to us:

1. Memristor based products will not arrive until 2020 based on their own, likely optimistic, projections. POET will either be ubiquitous or dead by then.

2. I scanned the article again and I couldn’t find any mention of cost to produce memristors. POET is projected to have all the benefits, with lower costs for integrated functions.

3. POET is going to license their process ASAP - meaning anyone can use it. HP will likely try to horde the technology. (IMO of course)

4. POET has endured a good deal of criticism on this board (unfairly I think) for flip-flopping about their strategy for monetizing POET. They have gone on to slam management for the failure of the SP, as though there is a straight line to be drawn between the actions and decisions of our managers and a sustainable increase in SP.

Well, if there was even a shred of truth of this regarding POET management, then HP should be buried in an avalanche of similar criticism!

HP are the Keystone Cops of technology.

How many technologies have they abandoned only to watch another company make it a success? Honestly, if memristor-based computers EVER hit the street with the HP emblem on them I'll eat the first one I see.

New Message
Please login to post a reply