Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Message: Relationship between POET & BB is not new. Article Published on July 2013.

Yes, I wrote the article, so I can answer the question with, No, the company has not accomplished what either Geoff Taylor or Peter Copetti said they would at that time in 2013. However, what they said was due in part to both enthusiasm for their achievements and likely some misunderstanding of the marketplace. I said it before and will reiterate, changing an industry of this size is a gargantuan task. It is about moving mountains the size of Everest.

As some of you who have PM’d me know, I’m in the midst of dealing with a family tragedy, so I haven’t been able to follow through with my reporting. Earlier this spring, though, I did get far enough along to determine that the aim to usurp silicon with gallium arsenide chips is far too ahead of the curve for many in the industry.

It’s why you see in Poet news releases that the company’s products are being referred to as complements to existing SI chips and as III-V add-ons to existing components. There is an existing supply chain whose entities believe silicon will be around for a long time, and who need it to be. The revolution to III-V, to Poet, will not be immediate. But that shift away from silicon will happen — and is happening.

Last July, IBM announced it was pouring $3 billion into post-silicon technologies.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186048-ibm-plows-3-billion-into-7nm-chip-research-and-post-silicon-technologies

It continues to release information that it is trying to develop a next-gen solution and is having trouble doing so. Same with Intel. The hope for Poet investors is that the IP is so well protected by patents that it inhibits any other company from easily getting into the marketplace with an alternative gallium arsenide (or gallium indium) product. I believe it is IP protected for 3 reasons: (a) Geoff Taylor last year said, “All roads will lead to Poet”; (b) There are a whole whack of patents surrounding this tech; (c) No exec the calibre of those who’ve come on board with Poet would jump ship unless they’ve vetted the tech thoroughly.

Two years ago, without Ajit Manocha on board, Poet was likely in a position to be a niche product for the defense industry, but it is now clearly on the path of aiming for its maximum potential. While pessimists may see milestones changing or being missed, the likelihood is they are being augmented for adoption by customers who are making requests to see how far the tech can go toward solving their business problems. Charging a phone twice per week is enormous, yet only scratching the surface of the possible.

As for the stock, I’ve liquidated every stock holding outside of my retirement savings and put it all into Poet. It’s a significant amount. The share price won’t go through the roof tomorrow, but it will go through the roof sooner than later. I’ve been a journalist for more than 20 years, I’ve focused on sports and travel, but have done a good amount of business reporting for the nation’s leading business newspaper section and have developed a lot of significant contacts on Bay Street. Poet is a solid investment. Likely the best you’ll ever make. Good luck.

New Message
Please login to post a reply