Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

In order to understand the importance of this move, in a huge global picture, is to understand Suresh's vision and mindset. He has always understood throughout his career, the necessity to integrate private and public interests to finance and develop new concepts and products as quickly as possible. His main contribution at Global Foundaries was the implimentation of this policy.

His forsight in 2016 to look beyond GaAS and aquire both Denselight and BBPhotonics was pretty visionary at the time and a stroke of financing genius.

The development of Denselight, using public (Singapore EDB) and company funds has paid off in terms of the "what next" in his plan.

It's also time to look at the BBPhotonics play that occured at the same time, as it relates to Suresh's vision. He was made aware of the work that was being carried out with waveguide photodiodes in Ottawa through Ajit's relationship with the Bell Labs alumni which included Bill Ring. Bill Ring had developed an idea around the use of wavegudes during his Hewlitt Packard days and got together with a guy named Mirek Florjanczyk who was working at the Canadian government lab in Ottawa doing PIC work. It was Mirek who actually built the first working waveguide platform. Anyway, this is all public record and you can research further if so inclined.

I think Suresh saw the potential of this tech as the real "disruptive" next step for semiconductors, but also had to molify shareholders, who had endured pivots and other disappointments over the years. The purchase of BBP locked in the existing IP and future ideas in the minds of the principles, if he could retain them, of the dielectric waveguide platform. So, Mirek, along with his shares in POET, also became the "Principle Engineer" of POET in Canada and remains so to this day.

Fast forward to 2018, after "terrible financings" and other apparant disasters in the minds of some shareholders, Suresh has steadly built up the Denselight work force, met his EDB obligatons, built the tech he aquired, together with the minds he aquired, into the real world platform we now refer to as the Optical Interposer. At the same time he has established a foundry relationship in Malysia, product development in China, packaging relationships in Korea and Thailand. All this on a shoestring budget and working capital that wouldn't get coffee in most Tier Ones.

So now we arrive in the present. Denselight has served it's purpose and appears to be sold to a partner in further OI development. Today we learn the POET has come full circle and returned to Canada as a player and has joined with MillView Photonics to accelerate the development of new uses for OI platform.

"The agreement between the two companies brings together to one lab the MillView team. including Dr Hall additional staff from Millview and three PHDlevel photonics engineers from POET. The team is also supported by POET's Senior Vice President, Dr. William Ring, and additional POET desigh engineering resources"

Remember who POET's  "Principle Engineer" in Canada is? 

Yes Mirek! 

So, we have Bill Ring and Mirek back together in Ottawa, the people who originally developed diode waveguides,  at a developmental facility that trades back and forth with the Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre, which is run by the Government of Canada.Governments are usually associated with "grants" that help with the high tech employment numbers

So, once again, Suresh goes to the public/private co-op to further develop POET's brand and brings at least part of the operation back to it's roots. There is genius in our CEO and it has been on display. He also has a niavete about some non technical fundimentals, such as market finance. Still, so far, the brand continues to develop, despite the obvious missteps along the way.

Oh, and while you are searching, you may discover that Mirek also has a warm relationship with Mellanox.

I did not say "our" home turf. I said my home turf. I had the pleasure of working with some of these people during my tenure as a civilian contracter with the Canadian Forces

IMO, of course

New Message
Please login to post a reply