Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

The answer to your second question (if I understand it correctly) is no. POET has indicated that they are building a library of waveguide designs. Dielectric waveguides are designed to meet the filtering needs of each application and mode adjustments for the specific wavelength required for each waveguide connection. So basically the same active components can be used to produce a variety optical engines but what the optical engine is used for is determined by the optical interposer filtering applied in a backend process. Kind of like applying a trim level to a car as a final step at the manufacturer.  

-----------

Forgive me if my question below is asking what you just answered...

Can the OI portion of customer designs POET incorporates it into be excluded from the lengthy testing that the first OI was subjected to, with the valid assumption that it has already passed muster? Could POET find a way to isolate the testing of the rest of the design and then perform just a cursory testing of the design in conjunction with the OI so that the time between design and production can be trimmed from the number of hours it took to test the first OI ever released?

Would that even save any time, or would that kind of testing be a dangerous form of cutting corners? 

The (simplistic) analogy I have in mind (continuing with the automotive one you just made) is this: view the OI as a validated water pump design... different manufacturers might take that design and just make small adjustments to the bolt hole locations for their different engines, but they don't need to reconfirm that the moving parts are going to work in their final product, because that stuff is already known to be reliable. The manufacturer (POET) might at all times be on watch for small improvements they might make in future deployments, but the industry will not need to have that part tested from scratch ever again.

Is this analogy completely non-applicable to POET's (and their industry's) QC requirements?

New Message
Please login to post a reply