Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Oz. I enjoyed listening to the video clip interview with Vivek.

Sept. 2018 - Video 20 min.
https://www.macom.com/blog/optical-and-photonic-networks-fo

I had a chance to spend some time with Vivek today. Listening to him and providing our perspective as long term shareholders was great! As you would expect he got an earful from us and he took notes. I pounded the table a few times (figuratively speaking) that there is a need to provide an education for shareholders and attract new shareholders. People need to know what POET has! And what POET has is very special. He is not here to sell widgets he is here to be part of the tsunami that is building in optics. I am more convinced than ever that POET has the answer.

What POET has done with limited funding is pretty extraordinary. And I believe the world is going to find out just extraordinary this platform is. People listen and seek opinions from Vivek regarding optical technologies and that includes Wall Street.

Silicon photonics solutions are very lossy and typically 50% of the power budget is lost in connecting and transferring the light. Even the L-PIC laser that MACOM has developed can at best do 80% coupling efficiency (as noted in the documentation associated with Oz’s links). Again that is the best it can do if alignment is at spec. It is not an answer. POET’s dielectric waveguide is.

Alignment into and out of POET’s dielectric waveguide does not have to be perfect. The dielectric waveguide captures the light and is very forgiving of any potential misalignment. But silicon does some things very well and POET will use those silicon components that do a good job. Mix and match the best devices. That is what the optical interposer does.  

We have all heard of the difficulties industry is having with 400G. Many have gone back to 100G to meet demands. POET is marching ahead with 400G because they can and this platform will eventually will mix and match stuff off the shelf.  Some have voiced a concern with the potential that competitors could reverse engineer platform. They have actually debated the need for patent protection because no one is going to be able to copy it without spending a couple years of trying to develop it. There are many trade secrets. And I guess that is maybe the rub. It takes time but POET in the next month and half all components will be qualified. And as far as having a viable product the only real risk is time.

Yes there is a Tsunami coming because one way or the other optical applications are going to explode but they need a way to connect light efficiently and POET has the technology to do it and that is why Vivek is here.

I expressed my understanding of why the POET platform is unique. Which anyone who has followed me will recognize.

It is the ability to connect light, shape light and transfer light very efficiently and it is the configuration and lateral separation of the optical die from the electrical die to separate and control the heat signatures very efficiently.

I was told that I hit nail on the head!

This company is going places and will be part of an industry hub.

And one other note. POET no longer has any financial commitment for DL. No checks need to be written. And POET does not owe our Tier 1 customer anything ether. There are no strings attached but they are going to pave the way for business so there will be loyalty.

New Message
Please login to post a reply