Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Message: How Coherent is powering innovation in artificial intelligence and machine learning for next-generation datacenters.

Saftsack: Partner or competition? I tend to competition... at least the topic is hot.

Since Julie Sheridan Eng talks more about different laser technologies than about transceivers (or at least about Coherent’s transceivers) I tend to partner, i.e., supplier.

However, on some technologies they seem to be a bit behind (keywords highlighted):

• “For link distances less than 100 m, … we are working on 200G/lane VCSELs, which will require significant changes in the VCSEL device design and fabrication.”
  • “For Level 1 switching for distances greater than can be supported by VCSELs, and for telecom access, single-mode devices are used. … We leverage that deep experience to develop lasers to support single-mode 800G and 1.6T transceivers.”

While on the other hand they seem to have a pretty strong asset here:

• As we look forward to 200G/lane transceivers, achieving a 10 km reach is a significant challenge, even with EMLs.  For that application, we’re excited about our newest, ground-breaking laser technology called DFB-MZ, which stands for Distributed Feedback Laser with Mach Zehnder.  This is an InP CW laser monolithically integrated with an InP Mach Zehnder modulator. This laser technology will enable 1.6T transceivers with up to 10 km reach. This is absolutely the state-of-the-art in 200G per lane laser technology.
New Message
Please login to post a reply