...We Welcome You To The Resverlogix HUB withIn The AGORACOM COMMUNITY!

Free
Message: Re: DM Interview w Jane King (Innovators) Apr 7 - COVID 19

Imtesty,

This person claims the viral protein E amino acid sequence shown in Fig 4D is incorrect. I checked the 41 amino acid sequence for viral protein E (in 4D) for myself against the NCBI protein database with a simple BLAST search. There were 2 entries for which there was 100% match (41/41). However, most entries do have 3 differences from the sequence in 4D. There are 3 alanine (A) for cysteine (C) differences. These protein sequences are likely predicted based off of DNA or RNA nucleotide sequences. It could be that some entries had errors in the sequencing. It could also be that there are different versions of viral protein E floating around. I have no idea which is more likely. 

Fig 4D: 

VFLLVTLAILTALRLAAYAANIVNVSLVKPTVYVYSRVKNL

Most sequences: 

VFLLVTLAILTALRLCAYCCNIVNVSLVKPTVYVYSRVKNL

Depending upon which is used, this may or may not impact the interaction of viral protein E with BET bromodomain proteins. If indeed the interaction depends on the similarity with histone 2A, then the CAYCC version has less similarity and might have less interaction. But regardless of those A/C amino acid differences, there is still a lot of similarity between E and H2A. The comment of that poster that the remaining interaction is half what the authors propose is flat wrong and suggests that this poster isn't too knowledgeable in this area.

It's all predictive and not empirical, so it is difficult to know the implications of these sequence differences.

BDAZ

New Message
Please login to post a reply