Welcome To The Silverbirch HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

Preview : N+ for PlayStation Portable

posted on Aug 14, 2008 06:14AM

Source: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/d...

Preview : N+ for PlayStation Portable

N+ is a brilliant independent game that is making it's way to the PSP later this month. I've been having fun kicking the tires of a test version of the game. It is a simple to learn, easy to pick up action puzzle game but it gradually gets more complex and challenging. It requires you to use both split second timing and focused logic to solve some of the more advanced puzzles.

N+ has its roots as a web Flash game then as an Xbox Live arcade game and if feels right at home on the PSP. The PSP's quick shut down and turn on function really help keep you locked in the game. In some of the more advanced levels I would get a bit frustrated and would shut it down and then pick right back up at that very moment a few minutes later after I had a few moments to focus my thoughts and take another stab at the puzzle.

The minimalist graphics and sound are simplistic with a nice retro game feel but the real star of the game is the controls and the physics. You play a little black triangle shaped ninja dude who has to clear a screen by collecting items in order to open up the door to the next level. This is done by running and jumping off the walls and flinging the little guy through perilous traps.

Taking advantage of inertia and split second timing is essential as well as the realization that you are almost never going to solve each puzzle the first time around but after blowing up a few dozen triangle ninja dudes the solution will eventually become clear.

There is plenty of locked content that rewards the player with a tasty gaming reward after a particularly complex puzzle.

The developers also took advantage of the PSP online and multiplayer capabilities. There is a full featured level editor and you can share and download new user created levels directly in the games online mode. This is a smart move and I hope that other developers take note of the advantage of encouraging and enabling user created content like this.

The price point of twenty bucks is a pretty darn good value. I always thought that the PSP and Nintendo DS needed a good puzzle game and N+ is superb alternative to the Tetris and PuzzleQuest clones. It is a great challenging and rewarding game for just about any gamer.

Posted by 8bitjoystick at August 13, 2008 10:07 a.m.
Category: Reviews
New Message
Please login to post a reply