A leader in High Purity Quartz Exploration in Quebec
A vertically integrated producer of Silicon Metal, Solar Grade Silicon Metal and polysilicon.
- HPQ Partners With Professor Lionel ROUÉ (INRS) to Evaluate the Potential of PUREVAP(TM) Silicon for Li-ion Batteries
- HPQ and Apollon Assessing Manufacturing Porous Silicon Wafers for Li-Ion Batteries
- FileD Second Provisional Patent Application
- HPQ Silicon PUREVAP™: Impacting the Global Silicon, Solar and Battery Industries
- PUREVAP(TM) Commercial Plant Costing Indicates Significant Capex Savings Versus Conventional Plants Producing Silicon Metal
- GEN2 Attains Significantly Higher Silicon Metal Production Yield
- Energy Transition: HPQ - Apollon Solar Extend Agreement Regarding the Development of the Technological Clusters Needed for a Green and Low Cost
- Latest Gen2 Progress Report Confirms PUREVAP™ QRR Ability to Convert Low Purity Quartz Into 4N+ Silicon Metal, in One Step, at Commercial Scale
WHY HPQ SILICON RESOURCES?
1. Why Solar?
- Growing industry of the future… renewable electricity is hitting critical mass and will go ‘viral’ in the next 5 years – from electric cars to roof shingles to sidewalk to mud huts in Botswana
- The solar industry was roughly 1% of the 6,000 GW or US $2 trillion electricity market. Over the next 20 years, Deutsche Bank expects the electricity market to double to US $4 trillion and expect the solar industry to increase by a factor of 10
2. Why Silicon Metal (Si)? Because Silicon is THE Solar Metal
- Solar Cells are needed to convert the Energy of the Sun directly into electricity
- Solar Cells use Solar Grade Silicon Metal (SoG SI) to convert sun rays into electricity
- One Watt capacity of a Solar Energy requires 5 grams of SoG Si
3. What are the challenges?
- Bottleneck in the production of SoG Si due to numerous barriers
- High capital costs,
- Multi-stage, complex smelting and refining processes,
- High operating costs,
- Large carbon and energy footprint
4. What does HPQ provide?
- A disruptive low cost, one – step, green technology solution: Pyrogenesis’ Purevap™ Reactor
- Purevap™ promises to eliminates several complex steps, high costs, and reduces not only carbon footprint but excessive by-products and energy consumption
- A completely vertical integrated solution, from the production of SoG Si directly from Quartz (SiO2) all the way to manufacturing high performance multi-crystalline and monocrystalline solar cells.
- The Purevap™ technology developed by Pyrogenesis is a new metallurgical process that allows a direct transformation of Quartz (silicon dioxide, SiO2) to Solar Grade Silicon Metal (SoG Si)
- With the addition of Apollon Solar SAS to the Team, HPQ added to the partnership one of the leaders in transforming metallurgically produce SoG Si into high performance multi-crystalline and monocrystalline solar cells
5. What advantage does HPQ have?
- Pyrogenesis are world leaders in plasma torch and high temperature purification systems
- Apollon is one of the world’s leaders in renewable energies, and high performance solar cells
- HPQ owns the technology through its agreement and is funding the project for 90% interest
- HPQ owns numerous Quartz deposits throughout Quebec
6. What stage is the company at?
- Proof of Concept lab scale testing of Purevap™ validated the disruptive potential in 2016
- Stage 1 bench metallurgical testing produced nuggets of Silicon Metal (Si) and delivered extensive data for the project design and fabrication of the Purevap Pilot Plant
- Stage 2 bench testing of scaling up design and process improvements resulting from Stage 1 started, using the Gen 2 Purevap™, a scale version of the Pilot Plant
7. What are the financial requirements?
- The Cost to acquire the IP, test, design, build, commission and operate the Purevap Pilot Plant for ten months is $ 8,260,000 to be paid upon milestones between August 2016 and April 2019
- $5,000,000 (60%) paid or funded to date, leaving a balance of $3,260,000 (40%) to finance
Latest significant milestones reached during Gen2 testing of the PUREVAP™ Quartz Reduction Reactor
PUREVAP™ CAN MAKE 99+% SILICON USING ONE REDUCTANT: LOWER COST HIGHLY REACTIVE CARBON
Having a process that uses less feedstock to make 1 MT of Mg Si and allows the substitution of costly high purity Reductant with readily available lower cost material will reduce the cost of making Mg Si, giving that process a competitive advantage, which is what the PUREVAP™ QRR can offer.
As part of the ongoing R&D, PyroGenesis decided to push the envelope of the process by using only one Reductant, a highly reactive carbon source (92.1% Total Carbon) and HPQ off spec SiO2 (98.839% VS 99.83%), Fe2O3 (0.121% VS 0.05%) and Al2O3 (0.182% VS 0.04%) in the Gen2 PUREVAP™ reactor1.
In this test, Gen2 PUREVAP™ produced commercially viable 99.73% Si with 0.166% Fe and 0.0424% Al, representing chemical grade Mg Si2, a product with great commercial value. By comparison, PyroGenesis calculated that similar material input in a conventional smelter would produce 96.95% Si, a product with little commercial value
For further information contact
Bernard J. Tourillon, Chairman and CEO Tel (514) 907-1011
Patrick Levasseur, President and COO Tel: (514) 262-9239
12 Month Stock Chart