A leader in High Purity Quartz Exploration in Quebec
A vertically integrated producer of Silicon Metal, Solar Grade Silicon Metal and polysilicon.
- GEN2 Attains Significantly Higher Silicon Metal Production Yield
- Energy Transition: HPQ - Apollon Solar Extend Agreement Regarding the Development of the Technological Clusters Needed for a Green and Low Cost
- HPQ Latest Gen2 Progress Report Confirms PUREVAP™ QRR Ability to Convert Low Purity Quartz Into 4N+ Silicon Metal, in One Step, at Commercial Scale
- HPQ Completes Beauce Gold Fields Plan of Arrangement Spin Out; BGF Shares to Start Trading on the TSX Venture Exchange on February 4, 2019
- HPQ Silicon PUREVAP™ Project: Milestones and Plans Going Forward
WHY HPQ SILICON RESOURCES?
1. Why Solar?
- Growing industry of the future… renewable electricity is hitting critical mass and will go ‘viral’ in the next 5 years – from electric cars to roof shingles to sidewalk to mud huts in Botswana
- The solar industry was roughly 1% of the 6,000 GW or US $2 trillion electricity market. Over the next 20 years, Deutsche Bank expects the electricity market to double to US $4 trillion and expect the solar industry to increase by a factor of 10
2. Why Silicon Metal (Si)? Because Silicon is THE Solar Metal
- Solar Cells are needed to convert the Energy of the Sun directly into electricity
- Solar Cells use Solar Grade Silicon Metal (SoG SI) to convert sun rays into electricity
- One Watt capacity of a Solar Energy requires 5 grams of SoG Si
3. What are the challenges?
- Bottleneck in the production of SoG Si due to numerous barriers
- High capital costs,
- Multi-stage, complex smelting and refining processes,
- High operating costs,
- Large carbon and energy footprint
4. What does HPQ provide?
- A disruptive low cost, one – step, green technology solution: Pyrogenesis’ Purevap™ Reactor
- Purevap™ promises to eliminates several complex steps, high costs, and reduces not only carbon footprint but excessive by-products and energy consumption
- A completely vertical integrated solution, from the production of SoG Si directly from Quartz (SiO2) all the way to manufacturing high performance multi-crystalline and monocrystalline solar cells.
- The Purevap™ technology developed by Pyrogenesis is a new metallurgical process that allows a direct transformation of Quartz (silicon dioxide, SiO2) to Solar Grade Silicon Metal (SoG Si)
- With the addition of Apollon Solar SAS to the Team, HPQ added to the partnership one of the leaders in transforming metallurgically produce SoG Si into high performance multi-crystalline and monocrystalline solar cells
5. What advantage does HPQ have?
- Pyrogenesis are world leaders in plasma torch and high temperature purification systems
- Apollon is one of the world’s leaders in renewable energies, and high performance solar cells
- HPQ owns the technology through its agreement and is funding the project for 90% interest
- HPQ owns numerous Quartz deposits throughout Quebec
6. What stage is the company at?
- Proof of Concept lab scale testing of Purevap™ validated the disruptive potential in 2016
- Stage 1 bench metallurgical testing produced nuggets of Silicon Metal (Si) and delivered extensive data for the project design and fabrication of the Purevap Pilot Plant
- Stage 2 bench testing of scaling up design and process improvements resulting from Stage 1 started, using the Gen 2 Purevap™, a scale version of the Pilot Plant
7. What are the financial requirements?
- The Cost to acquire the IP, test, design, build, commission and operate the Purevap Pilot Plant for ten months is $ 8,260,000 to be paid upon milestones between August 2016 and April 2019
- $5,000,000 (60%) paid or funded to date, leaving a balance of $3,260,000 (40%) to finance
Latest significant milestones reached during Gen2 testing of the PUREVAP™ Quartz Reduction Reactor
GEN2 PUREVAP™ TESTS SUCCESSFULLY CONFIRMS THE SCALABILITY OF PUREVAP™ QRR PROCESS
- 2018 Gen2 PUREVAP™ Commercial Scalability Proof of Concept tests confirmed the PUREVAP™ QRR could operate under a semi-continuous mode (January 15, 2018 release).
- Next, additional process improvements and design modifications to Gen 2 were tested, and demonstrated that semi-continuous operation improves the PUREVAP™ QRR Production Yield1.
- Scaling up from Gen1 to Gen2 in semi-continuous mode, production yield increased from ~ 1% to 34% (February 15 and April 19, 2018 releases).
99.83% TOTAL IMPURITY REMOVAL EFFICIENCY REACHED DURING GEN2 PUREVAP™ TESTING
- While mostly focussed on testing components and processes for the final design of Gen3 PUREVAP™, the Gen2 testing also demonstrated that production yield is crucial to the final purity of the Silicon Metal (Si) produced by the PUREVAP™.
- A Gen2 PUREVAP™ test provided 17.9% production yield and 99.83% total impurity removal efficiency2 compared to a Gen1 test under similar operating conditions, that provided 3% production yield and 97.14 % total impurity removal efficiency.
- PyroGenesis3 was able to validate that production yield does play an important role in the impurity removal efficiency of the process and final purity of Si.
HPQ PUREVAP™ PATHWAYS TO PRODUCE SOLAR GRADE SILICON METAL PASSES MAJOR MILESTONE
- Using data from both Gen1 and Gen2 tests, PyroGenesis repeated the 2017 extrapolation exercise and concluded that, even using low purity feedstock (98.84% SiO2), the carbothermic part of the PUREVAP™ QRR process should allow HPQ to reach the 4N+ Si (99.99+% Si) purity threshold, assuming a production yield of +90% (or commercial scale production yield of traditional Metallurgical Grade Si (MG-Si) smelters (98.5% - 99.5% Si)).
- Results exceed 2017 Gen1 base extrapolations that indicated then that the carbothermic part of the PUREVAP™ QRR process could only reach the 3N+ Si (99.9+% Si) threshold using low purity feedstock (98.84% SiO2)4, and furthermore this required a 100% production yield (November 1, 2017 release).
For further information contact
Bernard J. Tourillon, Chairman and CEO Tel (514) 907-1011
Patrick Levasseur, President and COO Tel: (514) 262-9239
12 Month Stock Chart