Free
Message: As resistance grows to the fossil fuel regime, laws are springing up everywhere to suppress climate activists. Really?????

As resistance grows to the fossil fuel regime, laws are springing up everywhere to suppress climate activists. Really?????

posted on Sep 18, 2022 09:42PM

An opinion piece in the Guardian takes the position that environmental activists are increasingly being stymmied with new laws imposing fines or worse for their organized protests.  The article poses the final 3 paragraphs this way:

"The repressive laws springing up everywhere show that governments anticipate a growing resistance to the fossil fuel regime – and they’re setting in place a framework to suppress it.

All over the world, corporations and the politicians who serve them are readying for intensified clashes between the few who benefit from climate change and the vast majority who suffer.

Environmentalists should do likewise."

As resistance grows to the fossil fuel regime, laws are springing up everywhere to suppress climate activists (msn.com)

Although the article is just an opinion piece, and an opinion piece in a paper from the U.K. at that, I do think that on the one hand it mirrors the intent of our home grown E.A.s to "carry on the fight" as they see it and to engage in the future in all legal ways available to them to "Stop Thacker Pass". 

It is my personal belief that the nicities of legal options won't serve as a limitation to at least some of those groups and that LAC can expect that despite a positive ruling by Judge Miranda Du, should that indeed be the ultimate eventuality, we will see extra legal means also incorporated into "the fight" from at least one, if not more, of these E. A. groups against the Thacker Pass Project.... regardless of any positive decision Judge Du might make.  I know I have stated this view before, more than once, but I am concerned about what I think may be a certain cavalier attitude by most LAC investors who appear to believe that an expected positive decision by Judge Du will equate to hearing "the fat lady sing", also known as "Case Closed" regarding the opposition to Thacker Pass.

To me, the real fight from the E.A.s begins AFTER Judge Du's decision.  I feel that the E.A.s are almost salivating in anticipation of a Du decision that rules against their attempt to destroy the Thacker Pass Project.  Why?  Because it opens the door for exploring strategies that push hard against the legal limitations and, at least consider, venturing into methodology and tactics not constrained by present or even future legal limitations on their protests.

I also think that it is far easier in Australia and in the U.K., for example, to pass laws against civil protest actions that may impede travel and/or damage property than it will be to pass or enforce similar laws here in the U.S. where the opposition to such measures would take on the task of attacking such laws as if they were ordained by God to do so.

It should go without saying that I sincerely hope I am exagerating their capabilities to delay and sabotage the Thacker Pass Project further in the even of a positive judicial opinion regarding Thacker Pass.  I would love to be wrong, but I would almost bet "real money", whatever that is now that LAC share price is below $30 USD again, that at least part of the more militant E.A.s will consider that as the clarion call to battle in what they almost consider to me Holy War against the mining industry and LAC in particular.

I question the availability of legal measures here in the U.S. to counter the more aggressive attack plans of any E.A. group since those groups already have a bevy of E.A. attorneys at their disposal.  If anyone seriously thinks that Will Falk is the only legal beagle barking up the cause for the E.A. groups against Thacker Pass then that erroneous conclusion is just because they haven't really researched the extent of the legal advocates who have cast their lot in with the bulk of the E.A. membership nationwide.

JMO?  I don't think so.  I believe the concern over what happens next after the Du decision from the opposition is justified, even if the Du decision smiles upon LAC.

I am posting this over here on the OFF TOPIC FORUM because I know that no one will read it here.  It does allow me to vent the spleen, so to speak.  Wish I felt better about it, but not really.  I guess you could summarize and say I don't underestimate the opposition, eh?

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply