Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

@krom

where poet is concerned the per unit cost of gallium arsenide chips isn‘t one to one. poet projects that chips which would cost 200 dollars would cost only 15 bucks with poet. why?

for one thing, poet requires fewer processing steps compared with current optoelectronic chips. and it requires fewer chips in total. hybrid chips have to be made separately and are then bonded together. poet should require only one run.

another thing to consider is that poet chips are actually simpler than current cmos chips. they will purportedly require fewer on-chip devices. i think this means there is more real estate available on each chip to integrate functions that would ordinarily require separate chips. lee shepherd said at the toronto meeting that current smartphones have 8 separate chips performing all required functions. poet could do it all with one chip.

finally, consider that gaas is already in use for fuctions that silicon can‘t perform, such as the radio. poet recently created and then completed a milestone to demonstrate poets ability to make chips configured to emit radio frequencies. i think this was completed so that the ssc could show how the radio frequencies could be genereated using the same process as the processing and memory.

i think someone posted a video or article saying that gallium is 5 times the cost of silicon. even if all of the chips in a phone are silicon, and they‘re not, than you could still save money when it becomes possible to integrate all functions onto a single chip.

New Message
Please login to post a reply