TODAY'S DISCOVERY, TOMORROW'S FUTURE

Creating shareholder wealth by advancing gold projects through the exploration and mine development cycle.

Free
Feb 13, 2010 12:12AM

Feb 16, 2010 02:29PM

Feb 17, 2010 02:29PM

Feb 17, 2010 07:12PM

Feb 18, 2010 08:27AM

Feb 18, 2010 11:41PM

Feb 19, 2010 09:02AM

It's funny that you noted that as I have been thinking about it for some time. Here is the trouble as seen by a farmer in a multigenerational farm (and a future generation to possibly farm now in grade school).

Land IS possibly one of the safest investments as far as it appreciating in value over the long haul. The trouble is that farming that land is a fairly low margin proposition. If I buy a half section (320 acres) down the rd it will set me back about 300,000. I am not incorporated, so that ends up being AFTER TAX income, meaning I will pay probably another 120,000 to the gov't to buy it, not counting property taxes. In 20 yrs that may well be worth a million, but who do I sell it to? My kids? If my kids want to farm, there is no way they can pay for the farm. If they don't, well it is a great investment! It is not quite as bad as that, as I got my land at a steal from my parents, as Dad got it from his. This will continue until someone doesn't want to farm.

Financially, the best thing would be for the next generation to not farm. I could probably make as much money renting the farm as farming it now, which is absurd.

So, how can we all make some $ on this farm land thing? How about we pool a bunch of cash, I will keep my eye out, and if a good chunk close comes up, we will all buy it. My input will be as caretaker and steward of our investment, won't even charge a fee as I meticulously look after it. Actually heard of a scheme where a farmer was trying to lease little portions of his land to city folk who could claim it as "their own" for 20 yrs. He looked after it, sent them a little baggie of some of the grain harvested, as well as aletter of how things went and a few pics.

Just might work.

tau
Feb 20, 2010 06:29PM

Feb 21, 2010 01:10AM
New Message
Please login to post a reply